Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hamburger Helper

This post is a bit of a cultural paradox for me. Believe it or not, I've never tried Hamburger Helper before and to be quite honest, I am not a big fan of semi-cooking in the first place. Asian culture has taught me the value of all things "fresh". In Asian cuisine, freshness of ingredients is the key to be scrumptious and tasty dish. We Asians tend to neglect the semi cooking method of buying things from the can and preferred to cooked it from scratch.

Americans, however, utilized the semi-cooking method to their full advantage and trust me, it is a big plus to the busy life one encountered. I, myself, have been in this country for eight years; thus, I am Americanized enough to have tasted and willing to try almost anything of this country has to offered, literally. I am not here to judge the differences, the bad or the good of Oriental and Occidental cuisines but simply to pinpoint the greatness of each culture and I am quite glad I have the privilege to do so.

Today's post was recommended by one of the judge since she is an American Native. She noticed how I fixed everything from scratch and usually told me to get these stuffs from canned products or boxed recipes. I never had the courage to try, until now. The recipe can be found behind the box or if you would like to be a bit more creative, try googling it and there are tons of stuff you can try.

IF you guys know me, I always tend to make minor changes to the recipe to add a bit of my own personal flavor so I called it "mine"; very cliche but you know what, I LIKE IT! I added fresh parsley and some exotic flavors--lime, cilantro, a bit of chunk tomato. The result was not one of my favorite but my roommates totally enjoyed it very much! I got 3 thumbs up and I am proud of myself!

Goodnight America!
=]

No comments:

Post a Comment